The ingredients are really simple, it's what you DO to them that makes this special dish work. Go ahead and try this out - it may not look incredible, but it has two extra-delicious traits... the soft spongy top that melts in your mouth and the layer of creamy lemon sauce at the bottom. :D
- 4 lemons
- zest of one lemon
- 5 medium eggs
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
Surprising Kitchen Tip-
stick lemons into your oven for a couple of minutes at 350* before squeezing. You'll get more juice out of them!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Grease a 10-inch pie or souffle dish.
- Separate the eggs. Reserve yolks in a small bowl. Put the whites in a mixer on the highest setting and beat until they form stiff peaks. (This is so cool...Eggs are amazing!) - it took me about 15 minutes! I can't imagine beating them by hand!!
- Use a wooden spoon or handheld electric mixer to cream butter and sugar together until creamy and light. (I scooped the egg whites into a different bowl and used the mixer bowl and mixer to cream the butter and sugar)
- Add lemon zest and juice. It may look odd (with a funny texture) but keep beating.
- Beat the egg yolks with a fork and then whisk them in bit by bit to your butter-sugar mixture.
- Add the flour and beat together. Pour in the milk and mix.
- Fold in the egg whites. (And when it says fold, that means carefully scoop the whites into the rest of the stuff and gently move your spoon around a little. DO NOT over-mix at this point!) :)
- Pour it all into the pie dish and set the dish IN a roasting pan.
- Fill the roasting pan with water until it comes halfway up the outside of the pie dish.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or till risen and golden brown on top. (I baked mine for 43 minutes, which was plenty!)
Eat hot, warm, or cold! And try not to eat most of it in one day like we did. ;)
You will find us linked up at some of these fine sites.